Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Nimmy-nimmy-not

I've been reading the short stories that make up The Ladies of Grace Adieu, one of which is an interesting rendition of the old folktale of Tom-Tit-Tot. As with so much in middle age, the irritating thing was that the narrative details were just enough to niggle at the back of my brain without actually triggering the memory, causing me to struggle to remember where I had encountered the bit about spinning five skeins. Poking idly around on the Web, I discovered another version of the folktale, one that has the running motif of naming the thing that threatens you (just as in Rumplestiltskin), but the Norwegian version features a master builder motif rather than the spinning motif of the others.

Thought it might be of interest to those of you participating in Carl's Once Upon a Time challenge.