Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Official RIP Autumn Participant

I think I'll participate in the "Readers Imbibing Peril" reading challenge, launched by Carl V. of StainlessSteelDroppings. The titles I've chosen are as follows:

  1. The Island of Dr. Moreau - H.G. Wells. Short (perhaps a novella in length). I've never read this particular work of 19th century science fiction. So far, it's intriguing and a mite painful to read, just on the basis of the brutish behavior witnessed in the first nine chapters.
  2. Gothic Tales - Elizabeth Gaskell. I chose this because it was made up of a variety of short stories which will help during the busy times of the month. I also tend to think she's under-rated. I loved her novel, North and South.
  3. Grange House - Sarah Blake. This is a reread for me. It was one of those works that I learned of by word-of-mouth through the library community. But it met the criteria for the R.I.P. challenge on the basis of melancholy and gothic elements.
  4. War of the Worlds - Another by H.G. Wells. I've never read this but browsing through it, it became clear to me that it would probably be one of those books that for me are better in the prose version than in the movie version.
  5. Dracula - Bram Stoker. I scared myself silly one night reading this book during the late autumn period. Do not read this while home alone. But it's been at least twenty years since then so I expect to enjoy it throughout the month of October.

But, okay, Carl V. -- this is the official posting to the blog as requested. If I was more familiar with categories on blogspot, I'd try to put this under books!